YA Review: Summoning by Debi Faulkner

SummoningTitle: Summoning
Author: Debi Faulkner
Ages: 10 & up
Ebook/Kindle
Requested Review

Synopsis:
This story follows Meredith Pennyfather through two different phases of her life. One story line follows her earlier years with the rather nasty Vicar Grimsditch in Ireland, and the second details her life as a teenager in Scotland. She works as a maid in both places and as a youngster, is taken from her parents to work for the vicar in order to repay her parents' debt. She later learns that the vicar is far from godly and enjoys dabbling in dark magic to benefit his wallet. He sells his own soul, as well as hers, in order to make his dreams of wealth come true. After leaving Ireland, she ends up in Scotland, trying to locate her parents and avoid the demon that is still looking to collect her debt.

Review:
Summoning was a fantastic example of historical paranormal fiction. I'm pretty sure Debi made up a new category here. According to the book's Amazon description, it is based off of a true story, which I found fascinating. Debi does a great job detailing the descriptions of the time period and location and I found it very easy to slip into Meredith's world. It's clear this book was well researched.

I have to admit, I was a little concerned I wouldn't like the back-and-forth between the two parts of Meredith's life, but as the story progressed, I was able to appreciate how skillfully she managed to merge those two tales together to create one fantastic book. The characters and the setting were vibrant and the tale kept me on the edge of my seat.

I would highly recommend this book and I give Summoning 5 Stars. It is a brilliant example of an indie book that New York should have given a chance and missed out on.

Available in ebook for Kindle and Nook for $2.99.

Comments

Popular Posts