Draculas by J.A. Konrath (Jack Kilborn) and Friends

I don't read a lot of 'adult' fiction, let alone horror, so this was a bit new to me.  I read a lot of Stephen King when I was younger, but that is more horror-thriller, if you will.  But I, like many others, love vampires and was interested to give this a go.   Mind you, I do like horror movies that include humor, like Zombieland, Scream, and Shaun of the Dead (and even not so funny ones like 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later) so I really appreciated the humor in this book.  The first week I was reading it, I had just gotten over the flu and had to actually stop reading it while eating dinner one night because the descriptions were making me a little queasy.  Once I got my strong stomach back, I was good to go, merrily reading about spleens, livers, and limbs being eaten. Nom nom!

And though I'm exactly the kind of vampire reader this book is not for, I loved it all the same.  I think the thing I liked the most was the fact that these were almost zombie-vampires, my two favorite supernatural villains.  It was a great marriage of the both.  It was high in action as well, lots of guns and gore on every Kindle page.  The story line reminded me of many of the zombie stories, where a bite transmits the 'disease.'  I enjoyed the characters as well and was really caught up with them by the end.  All in all, a cool story and a fascinating project as it was written by 4 different people.  It was quite seamless, blending together very well.  If you're looking for a great horror read this Halloween, I think you'll really enjoy this one. 

Comments

Popular Posts