Into the Shadows: Chapter 9 Part 2

Chapter 9 Part 2
Game On

The class was still discussing the debate as the bell rang and they exited the classroom.

“I wish we were older and we could vote, or at least be able to do something. If people let the government get away with this, its just insanity!” raved Jason as they made their way down the hall.

“Maybe it’ll be okay,” said Crystal. “I mean, if it really does stop the terrorist attacks, I don’t know, maybe it’ll be worth whatever trouble it causes.”

“See! That’s exactly it—selling out your freedom for your security!” Jason snapped back. Crystal’s face fell.

 “All right you two, save it for class tomorrow,” said Paivi, pulling Jason toward the cafeteria. “I’ll catch you later Crystal.”

She turned to Jason. “Look, clearly you feel strongly about this, but you aren’t going to get people to see it your way if you yell at them!”

“Don’t you feel the same way I do, Paivi? I didn’t peg you for a sheep.” His words were sharp.

“I’m not a sheep! But nothing has even happened yet. Besides, what can we do? The election is tomorrow. Let’s hope that the people who do have a say will do something about it. Until then, relax!” She spun angrily on her heel, looking over her shoulder and stuck out her tongue.

Paivi joined Michaela at their lunch table.

“What’s his problem? He looked really mad,” observed Michaela as she dug through her gigantic purse, looking for her wallet.

“Ah, he’s just mad about that debate last night. You know, politics and all that, nothing you would find too exciting,” she said, watching Jason across the room at his lunch table, still sporting a sour look.

“You are right about that, sister,” Michaela said, finding the wallet. “Let’s go. I am starving! I hope they have my favorite M&M cookies today! Yum!”

As they made their way through the line, Paivi could see the tater tots arranged in a message.

SEE ME

Ugh, she thought.

Christian really seemed to have a thing for leaving her messages in food. Couldn’t he just write her a note, or better yet, talk to her like a normal person?

After she had finished her lunch and Michaela was engaged in a very serious conversation over which football player at the next table was the hottest, Paivi excused herself and made her way over to Christian’s table. He noticed her walking over, and told the guy next to him to move. He patted the seat, indicating to Paivi that she should sit.

“Gee, thanks,” she said sarcastically. “So, you wanted to see me?”

“Yeah, we need to get together this week, I was thinking Wednesday at Al’s Café,” he said, not waiting for an answer.

“I hate to break this to you, but I start basketball today and I have practice every day this week after school. There’s no way my mom will let me go out on a Wednesday night,” Paivi responded.

“What about Saturday, then?” Christian asked through a mouthful of tater tots.

“Yeah, I guess Saturday would be alright, but it would have to be in the afternoon,” she answered.
“So, Saturday it is. Al’s, two o’clock.” Christian looked satisfied. “Have you had any good dreams lately?”

He smiled.

“Very funny,” she said. “And no, I haven’t. See you Saturday. And by the way, I do have a phone.” She grabbed a tater tot off his plate and held it up to him before popping it into her mouth. She stood up and headed back to her table, not looking back.


Join me Friday for the next installment of INTO THE SHADOWS!

Comments

Popular Posts