Books and Movies: Sherlock Holmes

I've been reading the original Sherlock Holmes (I picked up the giant leather-bound collection at Barnes and Noble) and I am quite interested to see how the upcoming Sherlock Holmes movie (starring Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law) compares to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's masterpieces.

Just in the trailers for the film alone, we are introduced to a fast-paced, action hero Sherlock Holmes (who is rather hot, or dishy as those Brits might say!). Maybe because Sir Arthur wasn't that kind of guy, I've never gotten the impression in the book that Sherlock Holmes was anything but eccentric middle-aged guy who is a genius when it comes to solving crimes and may just use too much cocaine. No joke. In the books Holmes is in a drug-induced cocaine haze between cases because, as he claims, his brain gets bored.

I appreciate the fact that Sherlock Holmes (the movie) will introduce a new generation to the character so many of us know for his trademark hat and pipe. I just hope readers aren't put off by the fact that the books, while good classic detective stories, aren't quite the exciting production the movie promises to be. Nevertheless, I can't wait to see it!

Comments

Popular Posts