oh...New Moon

Of course I've got to talk about New Moon today, which is the latest edition of the Twilight book series put to film.  I know a ton of you are fans out there, and I'm not really here to rip on it because frankly, it's made Stephenie Meyer a ton of cash and a ton of fans worldwide and that would simply make me a hater.  And that's not really my style.

I will say this, while the Twilight Saga is not and will never be my favorite, there are some things that Stephenie Meyer got right.  It says a lot that even though I'm not the biggest Twilight fan, I still purchased and read all four books.  Yes, there were many times I wanted to throw the book out the window, but the story and the characters (save for Bella, whom I can honestly say I do not like at all) kept me going through all four.  I DID want to know what happened to the other characters and I really hoped Bella died a painful death. (Spoiler alert - which at least she almost did, childbirth is close enought hehe!)

The other thing that I have to say about this Twilight 'phenomenon' is that it's really not all about Twilight.  It started with Harry Potter and Twilight is just picking up the torch.  What's fantastic is that we are seeing the emergence of a true Young Adult literature boom, where not only teens, but everyone from 8-80 is rediscovering the joy of reading, getting lost in characters and their lives and using their imaginations.  I am eager to see who picks up the torch next.  Maybe some of my awesome writer-friends.  Maybe me!  Maybe you!

I won't be waiting in line tonight to see New Moon, but for those of you that are, I'm excited that you are out there skipping work and school to celebrate books.  That, my friends, is true success.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts